Laundry can be so expensive! The cost of laundry detergent, the cost of electricity to run the washer/dryer, and the cost of the water used can add up quickly. The costs go up even further when you add in the extras like fabric softener, dryer sheets, and laundry boosters.
I don't know about you, but I don't like wasting my money this way. Laundry doesn't have to be so expensive!
I have several ways that I save money on doing laundry. Many of these ideas are not original and I give credit to those that I have taken them from. I just don't remember who you are! Thanks for the ideas though!
How can you save on your laundry? Let me count the ways...
1. Make your own laundry detergent! I have two recipes for homemade detergent: original and revamped! Both work very well and are very cheap!
2. Make your own washing machine cleaner! How? Fill your washer full of HOT water. Add one gallon of vinegar and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Let the washer go through the wash cycle and then turn it to the spin cycle before it drains. (Open the lid during the wash cycle. You will either be amazed or grossed out by the stuff floating around the washer!) The vinegar also helps clean the hoses after the washer drains and makes your washer smell much better!
3. Cut your fabric softener sheets in half! I do use fabric softener sheets in the dryer when the weather turns cooler. I tear the sheets in half and use only one half in the dryer. They still get rid of static cling and soften the laundry just fine. I also only buy fabric softener sheets when I have high dollar coupons for them.
4. Use vinegar in your rinse cycle! Using a 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle of the washer will help with the smell of the laundry and soften the clothes. The smell of vinegar will go away when the clothes whether you use the dryer or the clothes line/rack.
5. Use dryer balls! I use dryer balls when I dry towels to soften and fluff the towels. I don't use fabric softener sheets on towels. I know people who use dryer balls for all their laundry with good results.
6. Maintain your dryer! I use a Dryer Cleaning Kit to keep my dryer in tip top shape! By cleaning the vent and vent hose, your dryer will run more efficiently and will not have a reason to catch on fire! Also take an old toothbrush to your dryer filter so you will have a good air flow in and out of your dryer.
7. Hang your clothes up! Dry your clothes outside on the line or inside on the clothes rack - either way you save money! We all want lower utility bills and this is perfect way to do it! Your dryer will last longer too!
I hope you try these great ways to save money on your laundry!
Thanks for reading,