This week's recipe is brought to you today from almost any cookbook my mom has made for family or me. This is a popular recipe with my kids, my family, those that eat it outside of the family, friends, etc. My kids absolutely love it!
Here is the disclaimer: if you are an organic, whole foods, all-natural person, be prepared to turn your head or revamp the recipe. Consumer and convenience food friendly is where this casserole is at! However, many adjustments can be made to this recipe to fit your particular lifestyle.
This is also a one-dish recipe. Stand on your chairs and sing hallelujah! I love one-dish recipes! A dutch oven or large skillet works great!
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
onion, salt, and pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can creamed corn
2-2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1. Brown the ground beef with the onion and seasonings. Drain the fat if you wish to. The leaner the ground beef, the better off you are. I use a 90% lean ground beef and don't drain the fat. I think it adds more flavor.
2. Add the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and creamed corn. Mix well.
3. Add the elbow macaroni and mix well.
4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly and the macaroni is done. The top will get a bit crunchy sometimes.
Serves 4-6. For my family, I just double it. They become very healthy eaters when this is on the table!
Now for the tips, suggestions, and substitutions:
1. You can substitute ground turkey in this. It tastes delicious.
2. I tend to use a seasoning salt that does not contain MSG in place of the salt and pepper. I like it better.
3. You can use dried onion or real onion. Your choice.
4. You can make your own cream soup of mushroom/chicken if you wish. It would really up the healthy/nutritional value.
5. We use veggie elbow macaroni and love it. The kids almost prefer it that way and the color helps it look prettier. I have also been known to use other kinds of pasta to use up ends of boxes. As long as it isn't egg noodles or a long noodle-y type pasta (spaghetti), you should be good.
Good luck with our family favorite!
Have a great day! Thanks for reading!